Urban Forest Inventory Technician, Natural Resource Specialist 2 (NRS2) – Bellingham, WA
Want to join something GREAT and make a difference?
Telework and duty station are negotiable with a preference for within 35 miles of Bellingham.
The Washington Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has an exciting opportunity in our Forest Resilience Division’s Community and Landowner Assistance Section, Urban, and Community Forestry Program. The DNR Forest Resilience Division is seeking a motivated individual to join our Urban Forestry team to conduct on-the-ground data collection for public tree inventories and the Washington Urban Forest Inventory and Analysis (UFIA) program throughout census-designated areas of Washington State.
The Urban and Community Forestry (UCF) Program works to educate Washington State residents and decision-makers about the economic, environmental, psychological, and aesthetic benefits of trees and to assist local government, community groups, and volunteers in planting and sustaining healthy trees and vegetation wherever people live, work, and play in Washington State. The mission of UCF is to provide leadership to create self-sustaining urban and community forestry programs that preserve, plan, and manage forests and trees for public benefit and quality of life.
As part of this division and program, you will work alongside a talented team of professional planners, scientists, and implementers providing service to local, state, private, and federal partners to increase the resiliency and health of Washington’s forests and landscapes. In this position, you will be part of a team focused on providing services to those managing urban forests throughout Washington. You will serve as a primary urban forest data collector. This position works with the program team under the supervision and guidance of the Urban Forest Field Coordinator and Urban Forest Inventory Specialist.
Our Urban Forest Inventory Technician collects urban tree inventory data across the state of Washington and provides initial field data reviews. This position supports a broader body of work related to the statewide UFIA project. This position also assists in maintaining a statewide geodatabase of urban tree inventory data, developing inventory summary reports, and providing quality control oversight for data collected by contractors in the field.
Full-time, Project, Represented position
Anticipated Project employment is March 2024 – September 2028
Location flexibility may be available and considered: Bellingham, WA
Work Hours and Partial Telework flexibility may be available and considered
Relocation Compensation may be available and considered
Salary: $4,174.00 – $5,615.00 Monthly
Review of applications is ongoing. We reserve the right to make a hiring decision or close this recruitment at any time after 2/14/24. It is in your best interest to submit materials as soon as possible.
- Apply online: at www.careers.wa.gov.
- Letter of interest: describing your specific qualifications to the position and position required, desired, and special requirements.
- Resume: that details your experience and qualifications.
- References: at least three professional references with current telephone numbers– you may attach a document, use the References text field in the online application, or include it with your resume.
- Important: Do not attach any documents that include photos or private information (social security number, year of birth, etc.).
- Complete all supplemental questions.
- Candidates who move forward in the recruitment process may be contacted via email at with interview information/scheduling instructions. Please monitor the email listed in your application materials and check your junk email folder to ensure you receive those communications.
For a complete job description click here.